Jukes Boat Rental is a cardstock model from Clever Models. Originally called Jukes Boat Livery it has been expanded a bit in the latest version from Clever. My version was created using the original model.

Location .. Location

I had the perfect place for Jukes. Right next to the river .. the only downside is having to destroy the little scene. I know some people who will rip out a section of a layout to put in something new. Me .. I like working as if it were real .. modify the area like it would have been if real.

Lego Form

Legos are great for a quick mold. I printed off a copy of Jukes and used it to stack Legos to form the foundation. To make use of this you use tape to hold the Legos to a flat surface. Plaster is poured into the mold and you simply have to wait until it hardens.


There’s a lot in this one photo …

  • I mixed some crumbles of styrofoam into the plaster along with fine paver base granules. When the plaster was dry the styrofoam can be picked, brushed out .. MEK will help melt the stuff .. this leaves the pockmarked, rotten look.
  • I really like to use Foam Core as the inner-shell of my cardstock buildings. Note how I created the notch and tabs to assemble the walls. This is just ‘snapped’ together. A bit of white glue makes it very strong.</
  • li>

With everything ready I simply moved the assembly around until happy with the placement.


I have to admit that cutting into Building Insulation Foam is a lot easier than doing the same with plaster.


The Swanson Tool Company 6-in Cross Check Level is perfect for leveling the base. I simply applied glue to the bottom of the base, slapped the level on top, made sure everything was level and let the glue set up.


I printed a copy of the walls and glued them to the foam core shell. Stripwood was then clued to the cardstock to create the trim.

Layering etc.

Here the model is mostly finished ..

  • The roof is paper .. printed from the kit with streaks etc. via weathering powders
  • The clapboard was created by printing on to cardstock and cutting out strips two boards wide. I then overlap the strips by one board. This kicks the boards out in a prototypically correct fashion.
  • Window is from Tichy
  • Overhead beam is Evergreen I-Beam
  • Door and hangers are printed on cardstock from the kit

Final Model

I decided that I didn’t like the printed door. I could have layered it also but instead made a new one from stripwood. Hangers are styrene. I have also by this time added a pole for the end of the I-Beam to hang from and added a street light.

The scene HAS changed since .. around Jukes .. but that is worth another article.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *